The Foundry's NUKE is an award-winning compositor for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X and just recently the company released the new version of the software - NUKE 9, NUKEX 9 and NUKE STUDIO. NUKE is a professional tool with prices starting at $4,213 for the basic version, but the good news is that the company made the decision to offer a free version for non-commercial use as well! The free version of NUKE, NUKEX and NUKE STUDIO will be released early in 2015 and it will be available to anyone who wants to learn, explore and have fun with NUKE. Additionally to the limited license, the free version will have some other limitations - such as output resolution limited to HD, limited Python scripting possibilities, no monitor output support, command line rendering disabled and more. Nevertheless it is great that many new users will be able to play with the software and learn how to use it!
To find out more on NUKE 9, you can read the Release Notes (here) and also make sure to watch the official videos for more info on the new versions.
And here's the list of key features (via The Foundry):
- Complete online-editing toolkit - Intuitive and familiar editorial tools get the job done fast, whether it’s on set editing, online conform, or simply knocking out quick edits.
- In-timeline real-time effects - Powerful GPU accelerated effects can be added right in the timeline, letting artists quickly experiment, polish and achieve the high-end look they need.
- Fluid end-to-end workflow - Combined timeline and node-graph workflow lets artists work the way they want with all the power to create a project in one application from start to finish.
- Powerful collaborative control - A hub for total project control lets artists share scripts, work collaboratively with annotations and version up and down with ease.
- Real-time 4K playback - Plays in-application and through SDI-Out Hardware giving confidence to client attended sessions. For the first time, The Foundry has certified an HP® and NVIDIA® configuration with Blackmagic.
- Intelligent built-in rendering - Built-in render farm functionality automatically uses all available resources to enhance speed and performance, either on a single machine or when connected to multiple.