Who would expect - Blackmagic Desi gn announced a new device that filmmakers will surely find interesting - the Blackmagic Cinema Camera! It is a digital cinema camera that includes features such as super wide 13 stops of dynamic range, high resolution 2.5K sensor, built in high bandwidth SSD recorder, open file format support, color correction with full version of DaVinci Resolve and a built in LCD with metadata entry. Price? $2,995! The camera is being demonstrated on the Blackmagic Design NAB booth, so we expect many information on the camera and videos presenting the device to emerge soon.
According to Blackmagic, the camera provides a true feature film look, and at can shoot high end television commercials, episodic television programming and feature films. With Blackmagic's experience this might be the case. The SSD recorder has the bandwidth to capture open standard CinemaDNG RAW, ProRes and DNxHD, it also has a built in high-speed Thunderbolt connection, 3 Gb/s SDI output, a refrigerated sensor for low noise, and is fully compatible with extremely high quality Canon EF and Zeiss ZF mount lenses.
What's even cooler and most welcome, Blackmagic Cinema Camera also includes a full copy of DaVinci Resolve for color correction and Blackmagic UltraScope software for waveform monitoring. But that's not all - UltraScope can be run on a laptop connected to the camera via a Thunderbolt connection.
The company states that the camera has been designed as the perfect companion to Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer NLE software. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera includes no custom video file formats so it is easily compatible with most popular NLE suites, such as the mentioned above Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer.
The built in large LCD display makes focus easy, and allows playback of captured files. Blackmagic Cinema Camera includes a built in microphone, as well as external jack based mic/line level balanced audio connections. There's also a built in speaker and an included headphone socket, as well as embedded audio on the SDI output and Thunderbolt connection. The SDI output includes all camera data such as timecode, transport control, shutter angle, color temperature setting and ASA information.
What's quite revolutionary is how easy it is to enter metadata - the built in LCD features fast and responsive capacitive touch screen technology and when the user taps the display with a finger, a data entry window called the "slate" appears. This lets the user enter shot information just like typing on a smart phone. This data is then stored in the files so can be accessed by NLE software when editing content later. Metadata is compatible with popular software such as Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve.
"This is one of the most exciting products we have ever created and its been a work in progress for a very long time," said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. "Ever since I was a telecine engineer back in the 1990's I have wished that video cameras would include features that allowed them to perform creatively similar to film. However current digital cameras are too heavy, way too expensive and need costly accessories to work. We felt there was a need for a camera that delivered these features in a design that's optimized for professional video shoots, as well as being a compact, elegant design that's easily affordable. We think we have achieved that!"
And here's the list of features offered by Blackmagic Cinema Camera (via Blackmagic):
- High resolution 2.5K sensor allows improved anti aliasing and reframing shots.
- Super wide 13 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Built in SSD allows high bandwidth recording of RAW video and long duration compressed video.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW, Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD. No custom file formats.
- Includes no custom connections. Standard jack mic/line audio in, BNC 3 Gb/s SDI out, headphone, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology, LANC remote control and standard DC 12-30V power connection.
- Capacitive touch screen LCD for camera settings and slate metadata entry.
- Compatible with extremely high quality Canon EF and Zeiss ZF lenses.
- Supports 2.5K and 1080HD resolution capture in 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Thunderbolt connection allows direct camera capture via included Media Express software and supports live waveform monitoring via the included Blackmagic UltraScope software.
- Includes a full copy of DaVinci Resolve 9.0 color grading software.
The camera will be available in July 2012.