The open vimeo group Paying it Forward created a week ago by Preston Kanak, an assistant editor for philipbloom.net is a place where soon you will find a new series of tutorials about making a RAW timelapse. The idea of this group is to create a space not only for learning but also to sharing experiences and video clips.
"The target audience of this series will be the independent filmmaker who is open to learn. In the series, I hope to give a thorough breakdown of how to shoot RAW time-lapses. There is no perfect formula to get incredible shots other than practice, practice & more practice. These shorts will simply give you a look at how I approach shooting time-lapses. Comments and recommendations for future videos are encouraged."
Preston Kanak is a filmmaker who constantly tries to improve skills, sees the changes in available technology and who wants to share his knowledge.
"The expression “pay it forward” is used to describe the concept of asking that a good deed be repaid to others. It is the belief that by doing good, everyone will benefit. For this tutorial series, I will be taking this approach. I will not be charging for this series — but there is a catch! If you find ANYTHING helpful in any of the videos, please either share your work or share your experiences along the way — including anything new you may learn — be it workflow or anything else."
Complete list of seven video clips of this series include:
- Introduction (video above)
- Kit Breakdown / Software & Hardware Solutions – Introduction
- A Closer Look at 'Tool Kit’
- Pre-production - (Story, Scouting & Scheduling)
- Camera Settings/Modes: Understanding the Basic Functions of a DSLR
- Static Time-lapses
- Motion Controlled Time-lapses
- Day to Night Time-lapses
- Astro Time-lapses
- HDR Time-lapses
- Walking Time-lapses
- Bulb Ramping
- Post Production - (programs/codecs include: LR Timelapse, Lightroom, After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, FCP 7, Quicktime 7, GB Deflicker, CHV Time Collection, ProRes vs CineForm, Photomatrix, GBS Timelapse)
- Distribution: An Expanding Market Opportunity