Dale Grahn Color is a nice little app that you will find on the App Store. It not only allows you to make your pictures better, but also to learn a lot of useful stuff thanks to informative tutorials. The app was designed by legendary film color timer Dale Grahn, and this makes it even cooler. Besides you can watch as Dale shapes color, density, and saturation to create stunning images - not bad for an app that costs less than $4, especially that you can look over Dale's shoulder as he describes, step by step, his approach to the image and why he did what he did - an unusual opportunity to watch a craftsman at work!
"Leaving behind color wheels, scopes, and other digital conveniences, Dale challenges you to re-create his color grade by eye - learning to "think color". Can you match the master? Try to match Dale's color grade, and see how close you can get. Use the simple, analog-style controls to practice with Dale, and then use the same controls to work with any photo in your iOS album."
These are the main features and highlights of this app (via iTunes):
- Learn how to create striking images naturally - no filters required. Whether you are a working colorist or just starting out, you'll find Dale's approach to be refreshing, fun, and occasionally mind-blowing.
- Uncover the natural beauty in your photos. When you take a photograph, your job is only partly done. In most cases, it then takes subtle shaping of color and density to reveal the full story. Dale demonstrates how a few tiny changes can yield stunning results.
- Practice and learn techniques. Can you match the master? See how Dale shaped the image, and then try to re-create the look yourself. Learn to "think color" using the same simple controls that Dale used to create the look of Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, and dozens of other films. 21 lessons, 3 difficulty levels.
- Get instant scoring and stats. Complete a color challenge with Dale, and immediately find out how you did. See what you missed, and what devious tricks Dale had up his sleeve.
- Watch 20 exclusive video tutorials with Dale Grahn. Can't quite figure out how Dale did it? Look over his shoulder as he describes, step by step, his approach to the image and why he did what he did. It's an unusual opportunity to watch a craftsman at work.
- Try out your new skills on your own photos. Use the same powerful interface to work with any photo in your iOS photo album. Amaze your friends, delight your clients, and frustrate your rivals.
The app is compatible with all iPads, excluding iPad 1, and is currently priced at $3.99. If you want to get it, simply click here.